We absolutely love pizza in our house. As a matter of fact, there is no other take out food that we order more than pizza. We have 5 kiddos that love it. This caramelized onion & chard pizza recipe is the best of both worlds.
What is better than sitting on the couch watching a good movie with some of your favorite food? Nothing!
We are all trying to be healthy, but it is hard to have movie night and eat a salad. Those nights we want comfort food!
Can’t we be healthy while having comfort food? Yes! Pizza is one of the best comfort foods. Can pizza be healthy?
There are literally thousands of combinations of pizza toppings already. Pepperoni, Cheese, Sausage and the classic list continues.
Those options are comfortable to us because we know them.
Caramelized Onion & Chard Pizza Recipe
Are there healthy options when it comes to pizza toppings? I believe so! We have found one combination that our whole family loves. There is just something about the caramelization on the onions paired with the chard.
This is one of our favorite pizza combinations now. When the kiddos love it, it is definitely a winner!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- freshly ground pepper
- ½ pound chard, stemmed, leaves washed
- 1 14-inch pizza crust (1/2 batch pizza dough)
- ¾ cup ricotta (6 ounces)
- 2 ounces Parmesan, grated 1/2 cup, tightly packed
- 1 egg yolk
- Thirty minutes before baking the pizza, preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until tender and just beginning to color, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook another 10 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are golden brown and very sweet and soft. Remove from the heat.
- While the onions are cooking, stem and wash the chard leaves, and bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Fill a medium bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the chard. Blanch for one to two minutes, just until the leaves are tender, and transfer to the ice water. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Alternatively, steam the chard for two to three minutes until wilted, and rinse with cold water. Chop the chard medium-fine.
- Roll out the dough, oil a 14-inch pizza pan and dust with cornmeal or semolina. Place the dough on the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, egg yolk, Parmesan and chard. Spread over the pizza dough in an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border around the rim. Spread the onions over the ricotta mixture.
- Place in the hot oven, and bake 10 to 15 minutes until the crust and bits of the onion are nicely browned. Remove from the heat, and serve hot or warm.
Do you order or eat the same old kind of pizza? Always cheese or supreme? There are a world of options out there for you to try. Give this pizza recipe a try!
If you like this Caramelized Onion & Chard pizza recipe, please share it on social media and with friends. For all the latest recipes, container gardening tips and growing guides subscribe to our newsletter in sidebar.