Chicken Enchilada Soup
Winter is officially here
It is Sunday evening, it is cold and windy outside, it has been snowing outside this weekend and all I want to do is stay snuggled up inside. When it is winter time and it is cold outside, it is always great to have some great family favorite recipes that are easy to make and delicious. One of our favorite dishes that we make when it is cold outside is a big batch of Chicken Enchilada Soup. It never disappoints our family and it is comfort food at its best.
My family absolutely loves Mexican food. Tacos, Tostados, Tamales and Enchiladas are among the favorites. We also love making fresh salsa, pico de gallo and guacamole to go along side our meals. There is just something about sitting down at the table with a spread of delicious Mexican food. With that in mind, I wanted to combine that traditional flavor with the atmosphere it brings with the warm and inviting feeling of a bowl of soup. This Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe brings the best of both worlds; the traditional Mexican flavors and ingredients with the comfort of a bowl of soup on a cold day.
- 1 1/4 lb. skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 oz. chicken stock
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 3 oz. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- Sliced jalapeños, sour cream, avocado and tortilla chips, for serving
- Combine chicken, onion, bell pepper, garlic, stock, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles, chili powder, oregano, and cumin in a 4-quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through on low 7 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours. Add squash and black beans and cook, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove chicken, discard bones and shred meat; return to slow cooker. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve topped with cilantro, jalapeños avocado, and sour cream, with tortilla chips alongside.
When you are ready to start dishing this soup up you can dress it up with your favorite combination of toppings. My family likes to pile on tortilla chips, shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. This recipe is so easy to make and delicious that your family will be requesting it all the time.
Stay tuned every weekend for one of our favorite recipes.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- Chive Blossom Oil and Vinegar Recipe - February 7, 2018
- Bread Baking Tips – Every homesteader needs to know - January 29, 2018
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken - January 23, 2018