Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
If there’s one thing I look forward to at Thanksgiving, its homemade pumpkin pie. A slice of pumpkin pie topped with a huge serving of whipped cream. Today’s recipe is my absolute favorite recipe for homemade pumpkin pie.
Just one taste and you will be wondering why you’ve never made your own homemade pumpkin pie at home. You will also realize how incredibly easy it is to make your own pumpkin pie.
You’ll start out with a pie crust, you can use a store-bought pie crust or use a homemade pie crust recipe. If you’re not sure how to make homemade pie crust, I promise its much easier that you may think.
You’ll roll out the pie crust, fit it in the pie dish, then trim and flute the edges. Next, you’ll blind bake the pie crust. If you are curious as to what blind baking is, it simply means to partially bake the pie crust before adding the filling. Blind baking is great for custard pies like pumpkin pie because it insures that the pie crust gets all the way done. If you do not blind bake your pie crust on pumpkin pies, you could end up with a soggy crust. No one likes a soggy crust! You want a nice flaky pie crust.
As for the pumpkin pie filling, its as easy as just mixing the wet and dry ingredients, then mixing it all together in one bowl. For the sugar in this recipe, I prefer to us brown sugar instead of regular granulated sugar because it adds a little extra flavor.
You’ll also be using a little flour to help thicken the pie filling a little bit, along with some spice to give your pie that traditional pumpkin pie flavor. Then, you’ll mix together a can of pumpkin puree, some evaporated milk, and three eggs, and mix it together with the dry ingredients. You’ll pour the pie filling into the partially baked crust and bake it at 400 F for about 45-50 minutes.
1 store-bought or homemade pie crust
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 and ¼ cups evaporated milk
To prepare the pie crust:
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Prepare the pie crust by rolling the dough out to 12-inches in diameter. Next, carefully transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate (make sure it’s at least 1 and ½ inches deep), gently fit it into the pie plate, trim any excess dough, and flute the edges.
- Bake the pie crust at 400° F for 12-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
To prepare the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves until well combined. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree and evaporated milk until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until fully combined.
To make the pumpkin pie
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the partially baked pie crust. Return to the oven and bake at 400° F for 45-50 minutes, or until the center is almost set (it should wiggle just a little bit). Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack for 2-3 hours to cool completely. Cover tightly and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Tip: The best way to prevent cracks in your pumpkin pie is to avoid over baking it. I usually bake mine for about 45 minutes at 400 F and remove t while the center is still a little wobbly or loose. While the pumpkin pie cools, the residual heat will continue to cook the pie and the center will finish cooking and firm up.
Don’t worry if you do end up with a crack or two in your pumpkin pie because you can easily decorate the pie to hide it – or you can just eat it. The pie will still be delicious even if it has a crack.
Tip: Try making your homemade pumpkin pie the day before. It is one of those things that is better after it sits or a while – don’t believe me – try it!
This homemade pumpkin pie recipe will surely leave you wanting more – more food and Thanksgiving. If you try this pie, please let us know by commenting your thoughts!
If you like this easy homemade pumpkin pie recipe, please share it on social media and with friends. For all the latest recipes, container gardening tips and growing guides subscribe to our newsletter in sidebar.