When you go out to eat now a days, there is not much to choose from. You of course have all of the fast food places, but who wants to eat that all the time? I definitely don’t! It actually makes me feel sick to look at some of the fast food places now. We want to eat good food and even the “sit-down” places are more like fast food now. Can you imagine making your favorite dishes at home, and even in a slow cooker? Awesome, right! Here is my amazing slow cooker Eggplant Parmesan recipe!
Old vs New
Traditional recipes for Eggplant Parmesan requires either baking or frying the eggplant before it goes into the casserole.
We love using our slow cooker, so a few weeks ago when the family want it, I asked myself – would it be possible to make Eggplant Parmesan that resembled my traditional dish in my slow cooker?
Would it taste good? Would it taste like true Eggplant Parmesan? These are serious questions!
I wasn’t entirely convinced it would work, but when we bought eggplant at the market and decided to give it a try.
I made it for the family and we absolutely loved it! It was a huge success!
This is perfect for the occasions when you are entertaining friends and family. You need a dish that just looks and tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen.
One thing you want to keep in mind when making this is that the time it takes to cook will depend largely on how thick you cut the Eggplant. Taste it at about 6 hours and if you have cut too thick turning it up to high until it is cooked through. (And obviously, every slow cooker is slightly different, so make sure you keep an eye on it toward the end.)
- 4 pounds eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/3 inch rounds. Layer in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and then pat dry. (If you aren’t a fan of salt you can rinse and pat.)
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Stir together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a separate bowl. Dip eggplant in egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs. Layer 1/3 of the slices in the slow cooker. Top with 1 cup sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times. Cook on low for eight hours.
I hope this inspires you to try some traditional recipes in your slow cooker as well. You never true know how it will work out until you try. This slow cooker eggplant parmesan was a huge favorite with our family and kids. Give it a try sometime!
If you like this recipe easy slow cooker eggplant parmesan, please share it on social media and with friends. For all the latest recipes, container gardening tips and growing guides subscribe to our newsletter in sidebar.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- Caramelized Onion & Chard Pizza Recipe - October 19, 2017
- What is Aquaponic Gardening - October 19, 2017
- Seed Truth: The Truth about Heirloom, Hybrid and GMO Seeds you need to know - October 18, 2017