Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies
Just because the summer gardening season has come to a close doesn’t mean we have to stop eating fresh veggies. Rain or shine, winter or summer – we can enjoy delicious meals with fresh veggies. And what makes it better? Cooking it in a slow cooker! Slow cookers aren’t just handy when you move into a new home or when you have no desire to heat up the house with the oven. Slow cookers can be used anytime to make things faster, easier and still delicious. This slow cooker honey garlic chicken and veggies – is one to keep!
A new spin on an old favorite
If you are looking for a new chicken recipe to try – then look no further! This recipe is packed with the most flavor and is made using a slow cooker so you can get all of those other tasks done. Just put it on and leave it.
Now the recipe calls for bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, which I highly recommend because the amount of flavor that is hidden in the bones – is incredible!
People seem to have a stigma about cooking chicken on a bone out of the fear of having under-cooked chicken. That is the beauty of using the slow cooker.
Also, if you decide to broil the chicken at the very end to help crisp up the skin. I mean – who doesn’t love some crispy chicken skin?! But this is a completely optional step so if you decide to skip this, it will not change the flavor of the finished dish. If you cannot bring yourself to use bone-in chicken thighs, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or boneless, skinless chicken breasts). You can’t go wrong either way!
- 8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 16 ounces baby red potatoes, halved
- 16 ounces baby carrots
- 16 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
For the sauce:
- ½ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or to your liking)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and pepper.
- Place chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots and soy sauce mixture into a 6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, basting every hour. Add green beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Optional: Preheat oven to broil. Place chicken thighs onto a baking sheet, skin side up, and broil until crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chicken immediately with potatoes, carrots and green beans, garnish with parsley, if desired.
This slow cooker honey garlic chicken and veggies recipe is definitely a keeper! It was so good that the whole family is begging to have it again. It is sure to be a hit with your family as well!
If you like this slow cooker honey garlic chicken and veggies recipe, please share it on social media and with friends. For all the latest recipes, container gardening tips and growing guides subscribe to our newsletter in sidebar.