Easy Homemade Apple Pie Filling Recipe
Apple desserts are classic comfort foods, and many of them are made with Apple Pie Filling. Just thinking about apple pie conjures up the memories of going to grandma’s house, and the times spent with family this time of year. When it comes to apple pie, you can purchase pre-made, canned filling, but once you have homemade you’ll never go back to that stuff. Try our easy homemade apple pie filling recipe!
When you make your own Apple Pie Filling you can control the ingredients. Essentially, apples are a blank canvas to paint as you see fit. You can reduce the calories by using a sugar substitute. Select your favorite type of apple to make it sweeter or more sour. Your homemade apple pie filling won’t have any artificial colors or preservatives. Are you ready to give it a try? It is simple and delicious!
- 4 cups Apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- ½ c Sugar
- 3 Tbs Cornstarch
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Warm Water
- Slice apples and place into a bowl. To prevent browning toss in a little lemon juice and a little water.
- In a saucepan whisk together cornstarch and water until blended. Add cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg. Whisk again until blended.
- Pour apple slices into saucepan. Cook over low heat until apples are tender. Cooking time will depend on the firmness of the apple you use. It usually takes10-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before placing into a pie crust, or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Everybody loves homemade apple pie and now you can make your own easy homemade apple pie filling. Once you have made this easy filling, you will never buy store-bought again!
If you like this easy homemade apple pie filling recipe, please share it on social media and with friends. For all the latest recipes, container gardening tips and growing guides subscribe to our newsletter in sidebar.