Amish White Bread Recipe
The Amish people are some of the hardest working people in the country. They know a little something about connecting with each other and their lives. They pride themselves on making most, if not all of their own foods on their homesteads. They make some of the best breads in the United States. This Amish milk bread tastes delicious and has a fantastically moist texture. You can use this bread as your standard go-to bread for any and all occasions. Give this Amish White Bread Recipe a try!
It is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and it makes the perfect bread for snacking on. It can also be used for sandwiches, toast, and makes a killer French toast.
- 1/4 cup warm water (95 to 110F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or 2 packages/1/2 oz.)
- 2 cup milk (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 6 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, mix together the warm water and yeast. Add the milk, brown sugar, salt, and butter. Stir. Add 4 cups of flour and mix well. Add in enough remaining flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is firm and smooth to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Shape each dough half into a loaf. Place each loaf in greased, 9 X 5-inch bread pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until bread top is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove breads from pans and let cool on a rack.
Tip: Bread flour has a higher amount of gluten than all-purpose flour. This means that bread made with bread flour will rise higher than bread made with all-purpose flour. You can make your own bread flour by adding 1-1/2 teaspoons gluten to each cup of all-purpose flour you use in your bread recipe.
Making your own bread is one of the best things you can do on your homestead. It can save you a lot of money and help you to eat better. How can eating bread make you healthier? I’m glad you asked! Eating homemade bread is always going to be healthier for you than buying bread at the store.
Store bought bread can be full of ingredients that aren’t needed. Making your own bread helps you connect with your food because you know exactly what is going into it.
If you like this Amish White Bread recipe, please share it on social media and with friends. For all the latest recipes, container gardening tips and growing guides subscribe to our newsletter in sidebar.
Also, check out our article on What is container gardening? or Best Herbs to Grow!
Be sure to Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!