Salted Caramel Apple Sheet Cake Recipe
Everybody loves caramel, right? I mean, who wouldn’t? I absolutely love caramel! Caramel everything. It can’t get any better – or can it? If you haven’t had a dessert with salted caramel, then you are missing out. The salted caramel makes this Salted Caramel Apple Sheet Cake recipe amazing!
Every year around Halloween and Thanksgiving, I begin to search for a caramel apple. I go to the state fair, local county fairs and even trick or treating to find them – just kidding on that last one.
Use the harvest
Seriously though, fall to me is about apples. I always look for ways to incorporate our harvests or other local farmers’ harvests into incredible meals.
This delicious apple cake is beyond moist and has caramel frosting infused in each and every bite. This cake literally melts in your mouth!
Here we go!
- 2 cups flour plus 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups peeled and chopped green apples
- ½ cup butter
- 6 tbsp milk
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup caramel sauce (you can use prepared topping)
- In a large mixing bowl, measure flour, sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan combine butter, water and shortening. Bring to a boil. After mixture reaches a boil, add it to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add buttermilk, then baking soda, then eggs, then vanilla in that order, mixing in between each addition. Stir in apples.
- Pour into a 15 x 13 inch, greased pan (you can also you a 9 x 13 so you may have to adjust the cooking time because they will be slightly thicker)
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, make frosting by combining butter, and milk in a medium mixing bowl. Microwave until butter is melted. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and caramel sauce and stir until smooth. Pour frosting evenly over cooled cake.
It makes enough to serve a crowd and is sure to be a huge hit with whoever tries it! We could not get enough of this salted caramel apple sheet cake! It is absolutely amazing!
Definitely put this on your must-make-fall-treats list! You will not regret it!
If you like this recipe Salted Caramel Apple Sheet Cake, please share it on social media and with friends. For all the latest recipes, container gardening tips and growing guides subscribe to our newsletter in sidebar.